These delicious and crispy Air Fryer Bacon Cheese Tots are very quick and easy to make comfort food in under 30 minutes. This air fryer recipe is also better than deep frying or pan frying.
When it comes to fried food, my all-time favorite is fries! When I saw you can also air fry bacon, making this variant to American cheese fries became a no brainer for me to make.
Combining three things I love to eat, the Bacon Cheese Tater Tots was actually the first dish I made when I got the Cuisinart Air Fryer. It is perfect for snacking (or meal for one) and both kids and adults love it.
Air Fryer Bacon Cheese Tater Tots
What Makes This Bacon Cheese Tots Recipe Amazing?
Fast. All you need is an Air Fryer (to air fry the tots and bacon) and a Microwave (to melt the cheese). This recipe is done in less than 30 minutes. If you don’t have a microwave, you can melt the cheese on the stove top.
Easy. All you need are the main (and basic) ingredients: bacon, cheese and potato tots. They are easily store-bought and doesn’t require preparation.
Check pricing of Air Fryer on Amazon
How To Cook Tater Tots In The Air Fryer
I love how fast and simple it is to air fry potato tots. Place the tater tots on the air fryer basket in a single layer without overlapping.
With the Cuisinart Air Fryer, it only takes 15 minutes at 400F to air fry the tater tots. If you use a different Air Fryer, be sure to consult the manual.
Tater is short for potato, and Tots is short for baby. So Tater Tots are actually “potato babies”.
Learn more about the history of Tater Tots here.
What you may not know about me is I actually prefer tater tots than French fries in general. I find tater tots have a good balance of potato and crisp and have a better crunch than fries!
If you prefer fries, the great thing about this Air Fryer recipe is you can replace the tots with French fries to make Bacon Cheese Fries! It will still use the same instructions.
You can also use homemade versions of tater tots or fries for this recipe. Since I’m lazy in making my own, I just bought frozen tater tots in the grocery.
Luckily the McCain Taster Crisps was on sale so this is what I used for the recipe. They are thinner than normal tater tots to give a more crispy bite!
How To Cook Bacon In The Air Fryer
Air fried bacon is so simple to make. Place strips of bacon on the air fryer basket in a single layer without overlapping.
With the Cuisinart Air Fryer, it only takes 8 minutes at 400F to air fry the bacon strips. If you use a different Air Fryer, be sure to consult the manual on proper timing.
Ever heard the saying, Everything’s Better With Bacon? It’s true!
I personally love bacon and used to pan-fry them in batches to eat as snacks. But now, I can just air fry them too!
For the bacon, I bought the PC Old Fashioned Style Naturally Smoked Bacon. The Maplewood smoke flavour added a great dimension of flavour to the Bacon Cheese Tots!
How To Melt Cheese In The Microwave
It’s very easy to make melted cheese in the microwave.
- Place the shredded cheese in a microwave-safe bowl inside the microwave
- Run for 1 minute on low heat
- Stir the cheese
- Repeat until cheese is fully melted
Also Read: Oxford County Cheese Trail in Ontario
Assembling the Air Fryer Bacon Cheese Tater Tots
Once the bacon and potato tots are air fried and the cheese is melted, here’s how you bring them all together for Bacon Cheese Tots.
- Place the air fried tater tots in a bowl or plate
- Cut the air fried bacon into small pieces
- With half of the bacon, drizzle or mix with tater tots
- Drizzle the melted cheese on top
- Drizzle remaining bacon on top
- Enjoy this delicious and crispy comfort food!
How To Make It Into Loaded Tater Tots
Want to elevate the Bacon Cheese Tots even more? You can make them into a Loaded Tater Tots which make perfect snacks for parties and game day celebrations!
It’s so simple and only requires a few additional steps to the Air Fryer Bacon Cheese Tots recipe.
- After adding the cheese and before adding the remaining bacon, add sour cream.
- Include minced green onions and tomatoes when topping the remaining bacon
Recipe for Bacon Cheese Tater Tots in an Air Fryer
I would love to see how this recipe worked for you! Please share your creations with me on social media and tag me so I can check them out: @TravellinFoodie on Instagram & Twitter and Travelling Foodie on Facebook.
Here’s the Air Fryer Bacon Cheese Tater Tots Recipe!
- 50 pcs Frozen Tater Tots, homemade or store-bought
- 7 strips Bacon
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Air Fried Bacon & Tater Tots
- Lay the Tater Tots on the air fryer basket without overlapping
- Air Fry Tater Tots for 15 minutes at 400F (or as instructed on your Air Fryer manual)
- Place the Tater Tots on a bowl or plate
- Lay the Bacon Strips on the air fryer basket without overlapping
- Air Fry Strips of Bacon for 8 minutes at 400F (or as instructed on your Air Fryer manual)
- Cut the air fried bacon into small pieces
- Mix or drizzle half of the bacon with tater tots
- Drizzle melted cheese on top
- Drizzle remaining bacon on top to complete the Bacon Cheese Tater Tots
- Bring cheese to room temperature by placing shredded cheese in a microwave-safe bowl when you start air frying the tater tots
- When there is only 2 minutes left for air frying bacon, place the bowl of cheese into the microwave and turn on for 1 minute in low heat
- When done, stir the cheese
- If not fully melted, repeat for another 1 minute
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1640Total Fat: 104gSaturated Fat: 38gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 58gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 4038mgCarbohydrates: 119gFiber: 8gSugar: 2gProtein: 62g
Please note that nutrition information you see is provided and automatically calculated by Nutritionix. This may vary depending on the specific ingredients that you use. To ensure the most accurate information, I suggest entering your specific ingredients into a nutrition calculator.
Hope this Air Fryer Bacon Cheese Tots Recipe gave you an idea on what to make with tater tots, bacon or cheese. It’s such a quick and easy dish to make for a snack or even a meal if having it alone.
I’m always looking to make new things using the Air Fryer so please let me know what you find are the best Air Fryer recipes for me to try.