Enjoy crispy sweet potato fries? You’ll love air fryer sweet potato fries! This easy recipe is homemade and can quickly be done in less than 20 minutes with very little oil.
They come out crispy and delicious with a great mix of sweet and savoury.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
After French fries, the next fries I love are sweet potato fries. They’re not that common to find in restaurants unlike French fries so I tend to get order them whenever they’re available.
But now what’s great is I can make them from scratch at home. Following the success of my air fryer French fries, I wanted to make crispy sweet potato fries in an air fryer.
And they are delicious! Crispy, sweet and savoury all in one bite! And did I mention nutritious and vegan?
I tried multiple batches in different settings in two air fryers to try making them so that I can be sure I got the perfect one. Enjoy!
Follow on Instagram @TravellinFoodie for more food inspirations
What Makes This Air Fryer Recipe So Good?
Aside from the fact that crispy sweet potato fries are so delicious, here are other great reasons:
- Easy: The most effort you need to do is slicing the sweet potato.
- Quick: Air frying makes crispy sweet potatoes at a shorter amount of time than baking in the oven.
- Healthy: Compared to having a deep-fried sweet potato fries or using frozen ones, this homemade version is healthier because it is air fried with very little oil. Air frying can also reduce the calories and fat in the fries unlike deep-frying.
- Nutritious: Compared to French fries, sweet potato fries are high in vitamin A which regular potatoes don’t have. This makes it better for the eye sight and immune system. Sweet potatoes are also rich in vitamins, iron, and magnesium.
- Cheap: Buying your own sweet potatoes to make homemade french fries is much cheaper than buying frozen sweet potato fries.
- Flexible: You can use this homemade sweet potato fries recipe and adjust the ingredients to your liking. You can make it plain without anything, use different herbs and spices, or make it fancy like garlic parmesan or truffle fries!
What You Need For Air Fried Sweet Potato Fries
I tested making sweet potato fries using both the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven TOA-60 and the Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer for this recipe. Other brands will work but you might need to adjust timing. Here are other popular brands:
- Philips Airfryer XXL
- Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer
- Power Air Fryer XL
- Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker with TenderCrisp
Instant Pot Ingredients
- Sweet Potato
- Oil – you can use any cooking oil of choice. I used olive oil so it’s healthier.
- Sea Salt – to add a salty dimension to the sweetness of sweet potato
- Thyme – adds an earthy peppery taste and a more fragrant aroma
- Shredded Dried Basil – adds a minty taste that goes very well with thyme.
How To Make Homemade Sweet Potato Fries in an Air Fryer (Photos)
I tried to make homemade crispy sweet potato fries using two different air fryers which I’ll cover below.
Let me know which one looks better for you! When I did a poll on Instagram, the top plate one won by 59%.
Wash and peel the sweet potato then slice it into 1/4 to 1-2 inch sticks. In a large bowl, toss the sticks with olive oil, salt, thyme and basil.
Sweet Potato Fries using the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven
Place the sweet potato sticks on the air fryer basket. I was able to fit 30 pieces without overlapping and overcrowding.
Air fry for 400F for 8 minutes.
Sweet Potato Fries using the Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer
Place the sweet potato sticks on the two levels of the air fryer basket. I was able to fit 16 pieces on each level without overlapping and overcrowding.
Air fry for 400F for 10 minutes.
Tips For Making Air Fried Sweet Potato Fries
How do you cut sweet potato fries evenly?
- Slice one long side of the sweet potato.
- Place the flat side on the chopping board so it’s steady.
- Slice the sweet potato into thin slices with width based on desired thickness for fries
- With the thin slices, stack them with the flat side on the board then slices again with the same width.
Why are my sweet potato fries soggy?
Two main things to look out for so the sweet potato fries don’t come out soggy. First is to make sure the sweet potato is completely dry before doing the rest of the instructions. A wet sweet potato will steam when being air fried.
The second is to make sure the sweet potato sticks aren’t overlapping (no touching) nor crowded (have proper spacing for air to flow) in the air fryer basket. Otherwise, they can end up steaming as well because the heat isn’t circulating properly.
Why are the sweet potato fries not crispy?
If you are still having a hard time making the sweet potato fries crispy, you can try the following:
- Make the fries even thinner. Normally, you’d want the fries to be 1/4 to 1/2-inch in thickness.
- You can leave the skin on so that the skin will crisp up instead.
- Increase the air frying time.
Why do you soak sweet potatoes in water before cooking?
Similar to regular potatoes, you’ll also want to soak sweet potatoes in cold water for about 30 minutes so that the excess starch is removed prior to doing anything else. This also helps the sweet potato fries become crispier.
Other Quick and Easy Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Bacon Cheese Tots
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork Tenderloin
- Game Day Guacamole
- TORA’s Tuna Tataki Salad
- Dal Palak (Spinach Dal)
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
Be sure to bookmark/save/pin this post so you can easily make homemade crispy sweet potato fries with herbs in an air fryer!
I would love to see how this recipe worked for you! Please share your creations with me on social media and tag me so I can check them out: @TravellinFoodie on Instagram & Twitter and Travelling Foodie on Facebook.
- Cut sweet potato into 1/2-inch sticks.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, thyme and basil and toss with sweet potato sticks.
- Place sweet potato sticks in air fryer basket without crowding nor overlaps.
- Air fry for 8 minutes at 400F or 205C.
- The settings was tested with the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven.
- For Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer, air fry the sweet potato fries for 10 minutes at 400F or 250C.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1761mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Please note that nutrition information you see is provided and automatically calculated by Nutritionix. This may vary depending on the specific ingredients that you use. To ensure the most accurate information, I suggest entering your specific ingredients into a nutrition calculator.
Hope this air fryer sweet potato fries recipe gives you an idea on what to have for appetizers or snacks! It’s a great comfort food that you can enjoy any time any day.