Want to know how to cook rice in Ninja Speedi?
You’ve been enjoying the Ninja Speedi, especially the Speedi Meals feature which lets you cook a full meal in one go.
But sometimes you just want to make plain rice on its own without a full meal.
The Ninja Speedi manual doesn’t really provide information on this.
The only time rice is mentioned on the manual is as part of a full meal.
So you wonder, can I make rice in the Ninja Speedi?
Yes, you can make basic rice with the Speedi, and I’m here to show you how!
Why Make Plain Rice in Ninja Speedi
Nowadays, we have so many kitchen gadgets and appliances at home.
I’m sure I’m not the only one who has some, if not all, of the following kitchen gadgets:
Having these gadgets take up so much space, especially when some can already do functions of another.
You really don’t need a rice cooker anymore if you have a Ninja Speedi.
You can cook white rice, brown rice (or whole grain rice), and instant brown rice in the Ninja Speedi.
And it’s even faster than a rice cooker!
It’s also faster than Instant Pot Rice!
I cook rice in the Ninja Speedi so often, especially when I bought cooked food from outside, or I have leftovers.
What You Need For Ninja Speedi Basic Rice
We are using the Ninja Speedi Rapid Cooker & Air Fryer to cook plain rice.
Ninja Speedi is such a unique air fryer type because its Speedi Meals feature allows you to make “steamed then air fried” meals in one shot with its dual layer rapid cooker functionality.
- Rice – you can use white rice, brown/whole rice or instant brown rice.
How To Cook Rice in Ninja Speedi
It’s very easy to cook rice in Ninja Speedi, be it white rice, brown or whole grain rice, or instant brown rice.
Let me show you how.
Rinse the rice on the Ninja Speedi inner pot.
Note: If you are using Instant Brown Rice, do not rinse the rice.
Add 2 cups water for each cup of rice.
Close the Ninja Speedi lid and turn the unit on.
Flip the switch to Rapid Cooker and select STEAM.
Set the time depending the type of rice used:
White Rice in Ninja Speedi
For White Rice like Jasmine or Basmati Rice, set timer to 12 minutes.
Brown Rice / Whole Grain Rice in Ninja Speedi
For Brown Rice, set timer to 30 minutes.
Instant Brown Rice in Ninja Speedi
For Instant Brown Rice, set timer to 12 minutes.
When cooking is complete, wait an extra 5 minutes to naturally release the steam.
Open the lid and fluff the rice.
Enjoy this easy rice made with Ninja Speedi!
If you don’t feel like having rice, try Ninja Speedi Corn!
Why Can’t I Cook Instant White Rice or Minute Rice in Ninja Speedi?
According to the Ninja Speedi manual, it says “DO NOT use this unit to cook instant rice.”
By Instant Rice, it means instant white rice (e.g. like Minute Rice).
Instant Brown Rice is still fine and, in fact, is listed as an option for grains in the Ninja Speedi Quick Start Guide and Recipe Book.
The reason Instant (White) Rice is not recommended is because it cooks so fast that you might as well cook it on a normal stove or microwave.
The Ninja Speedi has a steam build up before actual steaming and that timing alone might already overcook or burn the Instant Rice.
Tips for Ninja Speedi Plain Rice
Here are some tips for the Ninja Speedi Rice recipe:
- Put the crisper tray on elevated position so it helps keep the steam and breaks the water from rising to high.
- You can add 2-3 more minutes to the timer depending on how wet/moist you prefer your rice.
- You can use chicken stock instead of water for more flavour.
- If you prefer a crispier rice, you can use Speedi Meals instead of Steam. Note that you may have to adjust timing.
What To Serve with Rice
- Air Fryer Fried Fish
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Kofta Kebab
- Instant Pot Jerk Ribs
Can You Use Speedi Recipe on the Ninja Combi?
With the Ninja Combi All-in-One Multicooker, Oven and Air Fryer, you might be wondering if Ninja Speedi recipes will work for the Combi as well.
I don’t have a Ninja Combi, but, on researching the functionalities and customer feedbacks who have both, here are my findings:
- Ninja Combi seems to be just an updated version of the Ninja Speedi.
- The Combi basically has the same features as Ninja Speedi.
- It’s just that Ninja Combi is bigger and in a oven-style, loading from the front instead of the top.
- Instead of Speedi Meals, you use Combi Meals function.
- The Speedi has inner pot and crisper tray and the Ninja Combi has a bottom pan and bake tray for the two-level cooking.
- Whereas the Speedi is good cooking meals for 1-2 people, the Combi is good for families and parties.
- Customers who have used both Speedi and Combi say the recipes are interchangeable because of the same setup and features.
So it seems like Ninja Speedi Recipes can be Ninja Combi Recipes.
If you’ve tried a recipe in both Speedi and Combi, let me know your experience.
Ninja Speedi Rice Recipe
Be sure to bookmark/save/pin this post so you can easily cook rice in the Ninja Speedi Rapid Cooker & Air Fryer!
I would love to see how this recipe worked for you! Please share your creations with me on social media and tag me so I can check them out: @TravellingFoodie on Instagram & Facebook and @TravellinFoodie on Twitter.
- 1 cup Rice, rinsed
- 2 cups Water
- Put rinsed rice on Ninja Speed inner pot.
- Place crisper tray on elevated position and brush with oil
- Close the lid and flip the SmartSwitch™ to RAPID COOKER.
- Select STEAM, and set time based on the type of rice below:
- White Rice: 12 minutes
- Brown/Whole Grain Rice: 30 minutes
- Press START/STOP to begin cooking
- Once completed, let sit for an extra 5 minutes.
- Open lid and remove crisper tray.
- Fluff rice and enjoy!
- If using Instant Brown Rice, do not rinse the rice. Set Steam timer based on White Rice.
- You can rinse the rice on the Ninja Speedi inner pot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 51Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Please note that nutrition information you see is provided and automatically calculated by Nutritionix. This may vary depending on the specific ingredients that you use. To ensure the most accurate information, I suggest entering your specific ingredients into a nutrition calculator.
Hope this Ninja Speedi Rice recipe gives you an idea for what side dish when making lunch or dinner!
Now you can replace your rice cooker at home.